Dr Joachim Ngiam: Multi-award-winning dental sleep practitioner who lectures locally and internationally about the treatment of snoring and obstructive sleep apnoea (OSA).
“With over 30 years’ experience, I’ve helped hundreds of people to reduce or eliminate their snoring and/or sleep apnoea. My treatment is safe, effective and painless; and for many of my patients it has completely changed their lives. It can change yours too. I look forward to meeting you.” ~ Dr Joachim Ngiam
Dr Joachim Ngiam graduated with honours in Dentistry from the University of Sydney and holds a Masters of Dental Science (Orthodontics)and Masters degree in Philosophy (sleep med). He received his PhD in sleep medicine research from the University of Sydney.
Previously appointment as Research Fellow at the Royal North Shore Hospital, he is presently involved with research interests focused on oral appliance therapy for the treatment of snoring and obstructive sleep apnoea at several hospitals in Australia. His PhD research included investigations into the dose dependent effects of mandibular repositioning with mandibular advancement splints (MAS) in adults, and rapid maxillary expansion (RME) orthodontic treatment in the treatment of sleep disordered breathing (SDB) in children.
Dr Ngiam has been a consecutive recipient of the American Academy of Dental Sleep Medicine (AADSM) Student Research Awards in 2011 and 2012. He has lectured extensively at national and international conferences and has several publications in peer reviewed orthodontic and sleep journals/books. He was previous Co-Chair of the Dental and Orofacial Special Interest Group (DOSIG) in the Australasian Sleep Association.
Dr Ngiam is a leading clinician and researcher in the management of snoring and obstructive sleep apnoea. He maintains a private practice focusing on orthodontics and dental sleep medicine. With extensive clinical and research experience, Dr Ngiam will work collaboratively with your doctor in your diagnosis, treatment and ongoing care to optimise treatment effectiveness for you.
- Co-Chair of the ASA Dental & Orofacial Special Interest Group (DOSIG) 2013
- Membership & Conference Committee Member of ASA, 2012 & 2013
- Committee Member of the Australasian Sleep Association ASA DOSIG, 2011 & 2012
- Student Research Award 2012 awarded by the American Academy of Dental Sleep Medicine (AADSM)
- Student Research Award 2011 awarded by the American Academy of Dental Sleep Medicine (AADSM)
- Rudolf Gunz University of Sydney Medal 1992
- Honours, Bachelor of Dental Surgery, University of Sydney 1992
Dr Jo in the News
- Medical Observer: Orthodontic technique to treat OSA in children
- eScience News: Novel device quantifies the efficacy of oral appliance therapy for snoring and sleep apnea
- Science Daily: Novel device quantifies the efficacy of oral appliance therapy for snoring and sleep apnea
- Sleep Review: Novel device quantifies the efficacy of oral appliance therapy
- Dental Plans: New oral device may provide relief for snorers and individuals with sleep apnea
When he’s not busy treating people with their snoring and sleep apnoea conditions, Dr Joachim Ngiam goes scuba diving and loves marine photography. Dr Joachim Ngiam is supported by a dedicated, friendly and professional team, which includes his wife, Terri Ngiam. The team’s goal is to make your visit as enjoyable as possible.
That’s Dr Joachim Ngiam’s story, what is yours? Make an appointment.